Monday, December 17, 2012

Roku Delivers

Well it has been quite some time since I've posted on this blog.  Likely a couple years.

I am just writing to update my strategy.  I have recently (1 week ago) purchased a Roku 2 XS.  This little device is awesome.  Due to my living in a wifi crowded apartment building I decided to purchase the XS model to get the built in ethernet jack.  This will remove the wifi interference that can plague a device like this.  Unfortunately the roku does not come with 5GHz band wifi.

So far, I really like what this box has done for me.  I am able to watch feeds of BBC, Al Jazeera, CNBC Europe, Bloomberg to name a few as well HBO Go (requires hbo subscription on a participating cable system of which I have access to) and Netflix.

Now the device processes more slowly when compared to the Playstation 3 that I've been using to stream Netflix but the power consumption of the Roku is in the 2.5 watts per hour range.  The playstation runs 80 or more.  So although not a ton of savings, it will add up over time mitigating the cost of buying the 2nd unit for a similar function.

But this small complaint is definitely overcome by the ability to find and add all sorts of channels that I previously was unaware of.

To me, any cable cutting move that still wants to watch programming should include a Roku box.

No comments:

Post a Comment